Grace Haven's Health Screening
Grace Haven follows the strictest health screening standards. We test for the following:
- CAER stands for Companion Animal Eye Registery and contains a wealth of information regarding heritable eye diseases. A veterinary ophthalmologist performs the CAER exam.
- PRA refers to Progressive Retinal Atrophy and we utilize Paw Prints Genetics PRCD DNA test to ensure that none of our puppies will develop this degenerative eye problem.
- OFA, Dr. Wallace and/or PennHip: This is a series of specialized X-Rays to determine the presence of, or likelihood of developing dysplasia or osteoarthritis in the hips, elbows or patella
- Cardiac exam by our Veterinarian.
- vWD is a test specifically designed for a type of hemophilia (free bleeder) in dogs.
- CBC is a complete blood count which looks at the white and red blood cells as well as the different types of each. For instance with anemia the red blood cells are examined and for a bacterial versus viral infection, a closer look at the white blood cells would be indicated.
- Thyroid tests are sent to an independent specialized lab if needed.
- Exercise Induced Collapse (EIC)
- Degenerative Myelopathy (DM)
What does all of this mean for you and your dog? It means that we assure that your dog is healthy and happy for years to come!